Thursday 21 May 2015

Golden Tulips, Pizza and Ultron

Saturday May 16, 2015

Saturday was defiantly a “western” day. First we took a couple taxis (there were 9 of us) to the Golden Tulip, a resort in Accra. For a hotel that is $296 US dollars per night it was smaller than I expected but still nice, especially by Ghanian standards. The pool was small and not as nice as La Palm, another expensive hotel that some had swam at our first week. Initially it cost 40 cedi to swim and lounge but a couple of the girls worked their magic and got us in for 30 cedi each. Thats roughly $8 US. It was so nice to swim, sunbathe and just relax. It didn’t feel like we were in Africa anymore, well until I opened my eyes and saw all of the Obimini’s (black people). They had some pretty awesome looking food there too! I’m talking huge cheeseburgers with bacon and fries, ribs, steaks, and much more. But I wasn’t ready to fork over 30 cedi for a single hot dog and fries (and that was the cheapest item). Stakes were 80, 90 or even 100 cedi. So I payed for a coke and stuck with my Eatmore bars and beef jerky. I realized also that the pop here isn’t made with corn syrup but actual sugar cane. It tastes so much better, I love it! 

Pool side, The Golden Tulip. Nothing extravagant but still a little paradise.

After the pool we headed over to the Accra Mall. We got pizza, which was actually really good, bought a few things at Shoprite (a western style grocery store), then headed to the Theatre. There are certain things in the grocery store that are crazy expensive! For example red bell peppers were 70 cedi for 100g! can you imagine paying nearly $20 for a few peppers? No wonder they dont eat vegetables here, they cost too much! 

The movie we saw was the real reason why we came to the mall. We saw the new Avengers movie, Age of Ultron. It was SO GOOD! I absolutely loved it! Movies have become a prized possession on this trip that’s for sure. I was the only one to bring any DVD’s and it has helped us all enjoy some good down time we’ve had. But my selection was heavily limited to the movies I could find in my house. We don’t have too many DVD’s left in their appropriate cases anymore (I blame chase and his younger years of endless movie watching on our portable DVD player and never putting them back). But we are making due. 


No comments:

Post a Comment