Wednesday 13 May 2015

Central region here we come!

Yesterday (sunday) was a pretty chill day. We went to church and watched the Sunday morning session of conference with the members. I am not sure if that was the first time they had seen it or they are just watching it as a repeat. Afterwards all the girls and Gavin left for their outreach with crystal eye clinic this week. Which left Austin, Daniel and myself alone until the next day when we left on our own overnight outreach trip with St. Thomas eye clinic to the central region. There were two new guys that arrived Saturday night. Richard and Jerry. Richard is from London and Jerry is from Montreal! I’t not the only Canadian anymore! Although I kind of liked it haha. They seem like great guys. I wont see them until we get back but I look forward to working with them. 

Monday May 11, 2015

Today we drove a few hours to a place called Bronyibima. A small village in the central region. This was my first time working with the St. Thomas clinic outreach team and I may be biased because I started with crystal but I enjoy working with the crystal eye clinic team more. It was a long day but we didn’t see nearly as many patients as I am used too, only about 60-70 total today. Crystal eye clinic usually sees twice that. I think they are a bigger clinic though and they have more staff so thats understandable. Not a bad day overall though. The area we were in was one of the poorest I have been in so far. A lot of the children didn’t have any other clothes on except for their underwear. But it always amazes me how happy they are! Despite the conditions they live in they are as happy as ever. I guess they just don't know what life is like otherwise. It makes me understand more about how the scriptures talk about how we need to be more like a child; submissive, meek, humble etc. 

We are staying in a hotel close by in another village. No air conditioning but we have a fan at least. The 3 of us are sharing a room which is nice. The price is more like what it should be, 40 cedi per night. That is roughly $10 a night. 

We had fufu for the first time since I have been here tonight! It was just like I remembered it from my mission in Toronto. Fufu is ground down cassava into a big ball of dough almost. Then the put it in a spicy soup over it and put some meat in it. Tonight it was goat meat. You grab a piece of fufu dip it in the soup and swallow it straight without swallowing. Haha it takes a bit to get used to but its good. Austin loves it! Daniel kind of struggled to overcome his gag reflex haha. I told him it took me three times on my mission before I was able to eat all of it so he was doing fine! Afterwards we got some fruit for dessert and who do we run into on the street? The missionaries! Haha it was awesome! They were from Arizona and Alabama. We talked about the culture, food, and what it has been like to live here. They knew something was up when they saw my BYU t-shirt so they stopped and said hello. 


There is another slave castle really close to where we are staying so we are hoping to make it there before we leave. We are staying really close to the beach as well which is awesome! We cant wait to go swimming! 

No comments:

Post a Comment