Sunday 14 June 2015

Final Thoughts

Sunday June 14, 2015

I can’t believe it’s over. It’s too soon, I’m not ready to leave. What’s interesting is that it feels as though I have been here way longer than I have, yet it has only been 6 weeks. We’ve done so much! On my outreaches I have seen a total of almost 3000 patients, referred hundreds for surgery, and witnessed personally upwards of 60 surgeries. I have worked in the hot, humid sun, pouring rain, deep rainforests and salty beaches. I have been on more adventures than I could have hoped for with others that I have come to love and made friendships that will last forever. Words cannot explain how much I will cherish every second of this journey. A week ago I felt content with leaving. I felt ready. We had spent the last few weeks talking with the first meals we were going to have when we got home, how much we were craving a laundry machine and those loved ones we left at home. But when we were saying our goodbyes before we left the hotel and on the ride to the airport, I wanted nothing more than to stay. I am not the type of person that struggles with goodbyes or has problems with missing others. There were times on my mission in Toronto that I nearly forgot that I had a family (sorry guys). I didn’t have a problem with leaving on a two year mission, and didn’t look back when my family dropped me off at the MTC. But there have been perhaps 2 times in the past 3 years where I could honestly say that I struggled with leaving a place that I had come to call home. Toronto and now Ghana. A part of me will always remain in both of those amazing, and drastically different places. 
Thank you to all of you who supported me during this amazing time of my life! Thank you for those that donated to my fundraiser and helped me pay for other expenses. None of this would be possible without you. I am eternally grateful. Thank you to my readers and for putting up with the sporadic posting schedule, elementary spelling and grammar and my struggle for words. This is my first blog ever in my life. It was a learning experience but I am so grateful that I did it. I know that for years to come the thoughts I shared here will help me remember and relive the experiences that I had while in Ghana. I love you all and I have much more to share besides what I was able to write here so just ask! Take care everyone, Me peh yo (I love you) 

No comments:

Post a Comment